September is Baby Safety Month. This JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) sponsored event is an annual, month long awareness program to educate parents and caregivers on the importance of the safe use and selection of juvenile products.
The 2018 theme, Choose and Use, revolves around learning and teaching parents and consumers about how to choose and then use juvenile products safely. This theme encompasses topics and conversations about when and how to throw toys away, how to read manufacturer instructions and warning labels and how to properly supervise play. As is custom, JPMA has released educational and awareness material in the form of videos, graphics and content.
In a nutshell, the Choose and Use program’s message is:
- Direct supervision is a sure-fire way to prevent injury: Watch, listen and stay near your child.
- Choose and use age and developmentally appropriate products.
- Read and follow all manufacturer’s instructions, recommendations for use and warning labels.
- Register your products and establish a direct line of communication with the manufacturer.
- Frequently inspect products for missing hardware, loose threads, screws and strings, holes and tears.
- Monitor your child’s growth and development and discontinue use when needed.